Preparing students to go to work
Career and technical education degree, certificate, and career studies certificate programs prepare students for employment. These programs are designed to meet regional demand for technicians, paraprofessionals, and skilled craft workers, and specialized office workers in industry, business, government, and other professional fields.
These programs normally require two years or less of training beyond high school to prepare students for success in meeting the demands in business, health and medicine, industry, service, and other technical and occupational fields.
Workforce CTE programs are short-term programs that can lead to industry recognized credentials and employment. They do not result in the awarding of an academic credit, but completers may be eligible to earn credit for prior learning in an academic program. They also provide an entrance into a career pathway that can include CSC, certificate and degree programs students can access based on their own timelines.
Career Studies Certificates
- Automotive Trainee, Career Studies Certificate (ACPS Only)
- Early Childhood Education Support Specialist, Career Studies Certificate
- Early Childhood Education, Preschool (CDA Equivalent), Career Studies Certificate
- Electricity - Electrician Assistant, Career Studies Certificate
- Electricity-Electrician Helper, Career Studies Certificate
- Electronics Technology, Career Studies Certificate
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration (HVAC&R) Technician Assistant, Career Studies Certificate
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, & Refrigeration (HVAC&R) Technician Helper, Career Studies Certificate
- Industrial Technology, Career Studies Certificate
- Law Enforcement, Career Studies Certificate
- Medical Administrative Office Specialist, Career Studies Certificate
- Medical Coding and Billing Specialist, Career Studies Certificate
- Nurse Aide Extended Care, Career Studies Certificate
- Nurse Aide, Career Studies Certificate
- Information Technology Support, Career Studies Certificate
- Intermediate Workplace Office Professional, Career Studies Certificate
- Introduction to Workplace Office Professional, Career Studies Certificate
- Small Business Management, Career Studies Certificate
- Webpage Development, Career Studies Certificate
- Welding, Career Studies Certificate
For more information about these classes and programs, contact either ESCC Student Services (757-789-1720) or Workforce Development (757-789-7979).
In selecting courses, students are expected to follow the curricula guides for their intended majors and specializations. Where appropriate, students may select courses from lists of approved courses to meet requirements in the degrees or certificates.
While general education courses other than those designed specifically for transfer may be used to meet portions of the general education requirements, principles published by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges require that general education courses be general in nature and not “…narrowly focused on those skills, techniques, and procedures peculiar to a particular occupation or profession.” A.A.S. degrees generally are not designed for transfer, but students can increase the transferability of selected applied degrees by substituting transfer courses where appropriate to meet program requirements.
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Career Studies Certificate in Electricity
Certificate in Electronics
Certificate in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
Certificate in Industrial Technology
Career Studies Certificate in Medical Administrative Office Specialist
Certificate in Medical Assisting
Career Studies Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
Certificate in Practical Nursing
Certificate in Small Business Administration
Certificate in Welding
Career Studies Certificate in Welding